Monday, November 29, 2010

I'm Thankful for Jerk Chicken, Vybz Kartel, and Endless Sunshine!

I spent the last 10 days back home in California for the week of Thanksgiving.  It was the refreshing and revitalizing break that was quite needed!  The week can be summarized as:  good people, good food, and (not so) good weather.  It was great to see all my family and friends, though the days seemed to fly by!!  We had a wonderful Thanksgiving celebration with my immediate family and extended family friends (who are essentially our family), complete with place settings, fruit-like candles, a yummy Turkey, spicy corn and cranberry sauce, stuffing, mashed potatoes with mushroom gravy, and lots and lots of pecan pie (and so much more).  The week included board games, nature documentaries, shopping, eating, sleeping, and just much relaxing!

I did, however, miss Jamaica incredibly!  I began to tear up when my flight took off from Kingston... I can already sense how sad I will be when permanently leaving this country in about 6 months.  What exactly did I miss?  Well, to name a few things:
- Jerk.  I was craving some Scotchies jerk chicken and festival
- The weather!  It was sadly in the 40s during a freak cold spell in the Bay Area.  Can you say "global warming?"
- Guava juice.  YUM
- The accents!  You may laugh, but I have grown to absolutely love the patois.  Getting into the Miami airport was a huge culture shock, when I was suddenly surrounded in American accents...
- The music!  Luckily, Jazz made me an awesome dancehall CD before leaving that I proceeded to play on repeat all week.  Yet no one could join in my enjoyment!
- The party scene!  No one dances in the US like the Jamaicans do
- My Jamaican friends/roommates, of course!

I did enjoy, on the other hand:
- Having a car!  I only almost drove on the wrong side of the road once, when turning left at a stop light.  But it was great to have flexibility again
- My bed!
- American food staples, like salads and thin-crust Ciceros pizza and string cheese and COFFEE
- Going to the mall!  Granted, shopping anywhere near Black Friday is a pain, but it was fun to hit up a department store and indoor mall setting again!
- Listening to songs where I understood the lyrics!
- Homemade Indian food, made by my mommy (definitely beats Pushpa's, my favorite Jamaican Indian restaurant)
- Endless fun with my family and friends :)

Overall, after a 16-hour journey (each way), it's great to be back.  I spent the evening catching up with my roommates and once again, remembered how unique Jamaica is!  I am more excited than ever for the next 6 months of fun :)

No comments:

Post a Comment