Monday, September 6, 2010

In Jamaica, Wings can Be Fruity

Friday night, we had the best chicken wings ever. Like ever, ever. Our friends Jody and Holly took the 3 of us to this hot new spot called "Wing Kings." It basically occurs every Friday at this woman's house (more like mansion). She has a huge, very well-manicured lawn lined with palm trees and she had set up several tables outside. And served all different types of unique flavored wings, including
- Guava Jerk
- Pineapple Ginger
- Bacon Cheddar (it was a little weird)
- Strawberry Barbeque

AMAZINGness. We were in heaven. Whoever knew wings could be FRUITY? At dinner, we also learned a bunch of Jamaican sayings. That includes certain swearwords, which I learned could be used as adjectives, adverbs, nouns, or standalone exclamations, similar to in the U.S. Unlike the U.S. though, the swearwords can be combined in different ways to produce different meanings, or to amplify the message... I will refrain from using them, but you get the picture. We also learned some common phrases, such as "Bless Up" which I think kind of means "Thanks dude." There's a head nod that goes with it, but we haven't exactly mastered that part yet. Another favorite is "Big Up Yourself," which means "good work" or "props," I think. We also learned the little handshake-like-move that Jamaicans use to greet one another, which includes rubbing thumbs. Not exactly a sorority handshake, but close :) I will put all that I learned at dinner to use (minus the swearwords) and report back shortly...

We spent most of Saturday working (ick), but allowed ourselves to have a fun night out! Which turned into a lateeeee night out, Kingston style of course :) We started with cocktails (and delish naachos) at Suzie's, a cutsie outdoor bar. Then our friends Kam and Gregg picked us up and we went over to a bar called Christopher's, in the basement of the infamous club Quad. It was definitely a fun spot, packed but pretty lounge-y in feel. As usual, we ran into friends of Kam (who knows everyone in Kingston, coincidentally of course) who were very nice and had fun stories to share with us. We then convinced the group to go to "The Building," a club that someone described to us as "indoor street parties." Clearly, we were intrigued.

We got to The Building at about 2am, and things were barely getting started. But soon enough, there were a lot of people, music started blaring, and everyone started dancing. Like I've said a bajillion times, Jamaicans are phenomenal dancers! We had a great time watching and attempting to partake... attempting. Circa 4am, when the party was likely at the peak and there were no signs of fatigue besides our faces, we convinced Kam and Gregg to leave and get us some pan chicken... street chicken with yummy Jamaican spices. Delish way to end the night! Some pictures below...


Sunday unfortunately involved MORE working after we woke up around 2pm. But we took breaks to clean the apartment and make chocolate brownies and buy groceries. At night, we went to the infamous Carib to watch "Takers." Experience was amazing, movie was beyond terrible. I guess I should have guessed that when T.I. produced it, but hey, it had Paul Walker! Anyways, it was interesting that the movie had an intermission. Good opportunity for food and restroom, but I sort of forgot the first half by the time it started again! Also, the audience was definitely a little more animated than in the U.S. We've heard that the audience becomes especially interactive with some movies (I think this one was just too awful for the effort), so hopefully we'll experience that soon!

And tomorrow... Jazz' birthday! Can't wait to celebrate it here!

------------------
And some overdue photos from Lyme Cay!
- Hello from the boat! Don't we look snazzy, all safe in our lifejackets!

- Prior to the rainstorm... looking so warm and happy on my unsoaked towel!- Kam, our Jamaican buddy, Ash, me and Jazz happy in the water

- The boats behind us were where the REAL parties were going down. Dancehall and matching dance moves... and everyone had real food (ie no KFC).

- Watching the dance parties go down. So beautiful around us!

No comments:

Post a Comment